Suit actor Mizuho Yoshida testing the suit profile from Godzilla · Mothra · King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001).
He’s the biggest of the big and the baddest of all Kings, we are welcoming Mizuho Yoshida back to the Kaijucast with an interview recorded at Monsterpalooza earlier this month. Coincidentally, I posted a short interview with this monster man (recorded in the spring of 2016) earlier this year. It is always an amazing experience speaking with a Godzilla suit actor and Yoshida-san is absolutely not an exception. We hope to have him return in the future as well!
MOMENTS OF MONSTER MUSIC:
1. Starting a War by Yoko Ueno from Gamera the Brave (2006)
2. The Forgotten Horror by Ko Otani from Godzilla · Mothra · King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
DAIKAIJU DISCUSSION REMINDER:
This month we are watching Demeking (2009) and I really don’t know what to expect. This film was released during the kaiju vacuum of the 2009 era. We’ll be watching it on Youtube for the discussion since I never bought this film on any kind of home media.
Yuji Kaida’s amazing poster for KONG: SKULL ISLAND!
This month’s Daikaiju Discussion is all about a really big ape and the island on which he rules — that’s right, we are talking about Kong: Skull Island (2017) on this episode. It’s always a bit thrilling when we have a brand new movie to talk about, so spoilers ahead, people!
MASSIVE MONKEY MUSIC:
1. Opening Titles by Akira Ifukube from King Kong Escapes (1967)
2. Giant Octopus Vs. King Kong by Akira Ifukube from King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) 3. Kong Skull Island Japanese Trailer (2017) 4. Intro from the King Kong Show (1966)
5. Main Title from King Kong vs. Godzilla performed by the Bukimisha Weird Secret Society (2000)
April’s movie is the not-as-well-known, possibly independent kaiju film from 2009, Demeking. This was released on DVD back when it came out, thanks to Cinema Epoch. Unfortunately, I never purchased that DVD, so we’re going to watch it online — I think via Youtube, so I have to figure that out. I would NOT suggest buying the DVD since it can be really expensive, thanks to the third party marketplace. Make sure to turn in your homework before April 22nd to have your thoughts included in the discussion episode!
Rachel, Gretchen and Kyle take a deeper look at the role women have played in the kaiju genre.
For this episode we are diving into the history of the kaiju genre and its relationship with women – from characters to actors, we tackle a few topics that some people might consider to be a sensitive subject but that we feel should be a point of discussion amongst lovers of these films. I was lucky enough to have two kaiju fans of the female persuasion, Rachel Cook & Gretchen Brooks, hang out with me to talk with me about that relationship.
Special thanks to Ayame Chiba for sending in her thoughts about women in the Heisei Gamera trilogy!
1. Mothra’s Song by Yuji Koseki from Mothra (1961)
2. Save the Earth by Adryan Russ & Riichiro Manabe from Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (1971)
3. Akane’s Theme II by Michiru Oshima from Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002)
DAIKAIJU DISCUSSION REMINDER:
Legendary Pictures’ newest monster epic, Kong Skull Island (2017) has just opened nationwide. This new film is the focus for this month’s Daikaiju Discussion. If you want to submit your thoughts, questions and reviews for this new Kong entry, make sure to submit your homeworkbefore Thursday, March 23rd to be incorporated into the episode.